5 replies to this topic

#1 cake pop

cake pop

High on Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

Where did the idea that people can give blessings on their Hebrew birthday come from? What's behind it? How much magical power does someone actually have based on the fact that it's the anniversary of their birth on the Hebrew calendar?

#2 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,898 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

if there is any source, it's probably based on the secular solar calendar, i would guess. b/c amalek had magical powers on his birthday, and i doubt amalek had a chabad calendar on his fridge.

#3 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

if there is any source, it's probably based on the secular solar calendar, i would guess. b/c amalek had magical powers on his birthday, and i doubt amalek had a chabad calendar on his fridge.

Who says amalek followed the solar calendar?

Although Satan does not have any power on one day out of 365, yet it always comes out on yom kippur...
" All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind."

#4 egomaniac

egomaniac

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

Where did the idea that people can give blessings on their Hebrew birthday come from? What's behind it? How much magical power does someone actually have based on the fact that it's the anniversary of their birth on the Hebrew calendar?

אל תהי ברכת הדיוט קלה בעיניך ever.
If the only way we can sell our children Torah is by forbidding everything else, then we are bankrupt. -R Shlomo Freifeld

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Before donning the vestments of zealotry one should ascertain the exact facts. - Indigo

Judaism...making me feel more like a supermodel every day... - aseeker

#5 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,898 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

Yes but look what is says... It does NOT say to go around dispensing magical blessings nor to consider your own blessings to be efficacious.

#6 egomaniac

egomaniac

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

Yes but look what is says... It does NOT say to go around dispensing magical blessings nor to consider your own blessings to be efficacious.

You mean I have to actually learn, not just repeat cliches? :( You ruined my night!
If the only way we can sell our children Torah is by forbidding everything else, then we are bankrupt. -R Shlomo Freifeld

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Before donning the vestments of zealotry one should ascertain the exact facts. - Indigo

Judaism...making me feel more like a supermodel every day... - aseeker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users