38 replies to this topic

#1 spaceJew

spaceJew

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

What do you prefer to use for your shabbos hot water dispensation needs, a coffee urn or a pump style pot? What are the pros and cons of each? Just to clarify, the following links show both models:
1. http://www.amazon.co...32786086&sr=8-5
2.http://www.amazon.co...32786086&sr=8-6

Thanks!

#2 egomaniac

egomaniac

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

I use the first one.
Supposedly it doesnt get as hot as the pump models, but 1, its much cheaper and 2, it seems like the pump ones have a very limited lifespan (from what Ive seen - I know someone here is going to tell me about their pump model that has been working for 35 years with no problems)
If the only way we can sell our children Torah is by forbidding everything else, then we are bankrupt. -R Shlomo Freifeld

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Before donning the vestments of zealotry one should ascertain the exact facts. - Indigo

Judaism...making me feel more like a supermodel every day... - aseeker

#3 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,354 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

what ego said.
i hate those pump ones.

#4 Arizona

Arizona

Checking IDs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

Another urn user here.

Cost was a factor. Also ease of use. The water comes out easily of an urn. I'm constantly having to fight with my friends' pumps.
"And as usual, Arizona is correct." - Xi'le

"As usual, Arizona is correct." - Snag

#5 Milton

Milton

Heisenberg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

The pump pots have a design flaw in which the o-ring fails after 6 months of use.

#6 Shemmy

Shemmy

Judeo-Sufi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

Our pump was horrible. The coffee urn worked so much better.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die

#7 spaceJew

spaceJew

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for your input, all! It seems like "everybody" in these here parts has the pump-pot style and we were straining to figure out why they are more popular. Our coffee-urn just went out of commission after a few good years of service, and we need to get a new one. Our only issue with the urn is that the sides get very hot, which is cause for occasional ouchies and presumably wasted electricity. ( And of course the dummy error of getting distracted and leaving the spout down for too long while your drink overflows.)

#8 egomaniac

egomaniac

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for your input, all! It seems like "everybody" in these here parts has the pump-pot style and we were straining to figure out why they are more popular. Our coffee-urn just went out of commission after a few good years of service, and we need to get a new one. Our only issue with the urn is that the sides get very hot, which is cause for occasional ouchies and presumably wasted electricity. ( And of course the dummy error of getting distracted and leaving the spout down for too long while your drink overflows.)

The overheated sides are a result of poor or no insulation, so i assume you are right about the wasted electricity, but there is some sort of insulation that you can buy to put over the urn, it avoids the burns, and keeps the water hotter...
If the only way we can sell our children Torah is by forbidding everything else, then we are bankrupt. -R Shlomo Freifeld

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Before donning the vestments of zealotry one should ascertain the exact facts. - Indigo

#9 Nooch

Nooch

Dark Lord of The Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

The overheated sides are a result of poor or no insulation, so i assume you are right about the wasted electricity, but there is some sort of insulation that you can buy to put over the urn, it avoids the burns, and keeps the water hotter...

You run the risk of being oiver on hatmana doing this....

#10 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,354 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

you can buy or make covers for the sides.
you just have to be careful about hatmanah

#11 egomaniac

egomaniac

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

You run the risk of being oiver on hatmana doing this....

If you put it on from before shabbos? It doesnt get moved on Shabbos.

#12 Nooch

Nooch

Dark Lord of The Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

If you put it on from before shabbos? It doesnt get moved on Shabbos.

None the less.

#13 egomaniac

egomaniac

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

None the less.

You learn something new every day...
Thank you.

#14 Nooch

Nooch

Dark Lord of The Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

You learn something new every day...
Thank you.

Posted Image
No problem.

#15 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,354 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

What Nooch said: nonetheless.

You can't completely enclose something that is a kli rishon, like an urn, b/c it's "adding heat". Even from before shabbat. It's a gezeira derabbanan.

The question then becomes what "completely enclosing" means. For example, if there's a space between the covering and the pot/urn. Or if there's an opening on the side so it's not completely closed.

The thing about erev shabbat, is that if it's done erev shabbat, you can't, but if you do, be-di'avad, there may possibly be room to be meikil and eat the food on shabbat especially if it was fully cooked before shabbat, as water in an urn usually is if it's plugged in long enough before shabbat. But that's be'di'avad. You still can't do it.

#16 Reverse Karma

Reverse Karma

Hi Mom !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

it's all crap. what's wrong with a teapot on a blech ?
"You people are freaks." Milton

"It should be assur to hold onto a pole on the subway, because it might lead to pole dancing." Warren

"Clearly one should wash and say hamotzi on bread before partaking of Peanut M&Ms." Bezalel

"Keep your friends close, your enemies closer, and your country's flag in your pants. Isnt' that how the saying goes?"
Mustache_Marvin

"I think frummies should videotape sex with their wives and send them to the rabbis for a ruling if they are doing anything inappropriate." Indigo

#17 Shemmy

Shemmy

Judeo-Sufi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

Volume.

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die

#18 Moshi

Moshi

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

does anyone know of one that doesnt have plastic in contact with hot water?

#19 Moshi

Moshi

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

how can you put it back on the blech?

#20 Nooch

Nooch

Dark Lord of The Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

how can you put it back on the blech?

There is a halachically permissible method.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hot water urn pump pot, shabbos, hot water

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users