46 replies to this topic

#1 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

Sefer Shimush Tehillim is a short and relatively little-known treatise attributed to Rav Hai
Gaon (according to the Sedei Chemed) which describes the Kabbalistic uses of particular
chapters and verses from the Book of Psalms for prophylactic or healing purposes.

http://halakhah.com/rst/tehillim.pdf

I'm not quite sure what to make of this

#2 Shemmy

Shemmy

Judeo-Sufi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

I know what the Rambam would make of it:

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die

#3 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

So do I. but the the way the author squirms out of it is:

Yet, it must be noted, there was great opposition to use of the Torah for magical, curative
purposes. The Rambam, the Tur (Yoreh Deoh 179), and the Shulchon Oruch (Yoreh Deoh
179:10) forbade such usage. The Rambam in Hilchos Avodas Cochavim 11:12 pointedly writes:
“Regarding one who incants over a wound or reads a verse from the Torah, and so one
who reads verses to calm a frightened child or places a Sefer Torah or Tefilin on a child so
that he will sleep – it is not bad enough that these people are numbered among the
sorcerers and diviners, but they are also counted as heretics to the Torah by using words of
the Torah to heal the body. The (words of the) Torah are for healing the soul only, as it is
written, ‘and they shall be life for your soul’. However, it is permitted to recite verses and
chapters from Tehillim for protection against troubles and harm - by merit of their
recitation.”
Protection – yes, curing – no.

#4 Arizona

Arizona

Checking IDs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

One question: Do I have to handle snakes while I recite tehillim for the cure to work?
"And as usual, Arizona is correct." - Xi'le

"As usual, Arizona is correct." - Snag

#5 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

One question: Do I have to handle snakes while I recite tehillim for the cure to work?

Better to be machmir, yes.

#6 Arizona

Arizona

Checking IDs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

Better to be machmir, yes.

Should I recite the one to protect against snake bites first or is that a lack of faith?
"And as usual, Arizona is correct." - Xi'le

"As usual, Arizona is correct." - Snag

#7 Spiffy

Spiffy

nerdy geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

Is that the proper term for a group of segulos? Like a murder of crows, a wack of segulos?

#8 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:07 PM

Yes, while speaking in shivim leshonos ...
Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism.

Demand the impossible! everyone will be free

#9 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud Muffin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:12 AM

Kabbalistic uses of particular chapters and verses from the Book of Psalms for prophylactic ... purposes.

It's good to be prophylactized from dangerous conditions.

#10 Ayeles Hashachar

Ayeles Hashachar

TA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

I've always found something faintly heretical about turning a mitzva into a segula.

a ship without a port is always in a storm

#11 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

I've always found something faintly heretical about turning a mitzva into a segula.

So has Maimonides.

#12 Sheretz b'yado

Sheretz b'yado

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

I find something oddly disturbing about the rationalism in this thread.

You are picking and choosing between the rambam and rav hai gaon based on what makes sense to you. I don't think that's ok.

#13 Ayeles Hashachar

Ayeles Hashachar

TA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

I find something oddly disturbing about the rationalism in this thread.

You are picking and choosing between the rambam and rav hai gaon based on what makes sense to you. I don't think that's ok.

How do you decide then?

#14 Master Zed

Master Zed

Who the @#$% is Zed?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

By what FEELS more right...
You're wrong Kyle, G-d is NOT a dick! -- Eric Cartman

#15 Sheretz b'yado

Sheretz b'yado

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

How do you decide then?

1. Usually my mesorah based on minhag.

2. It isn't so much the deciding the bothers me, as much as the attitude about it. The whole "hey look at this funny and ridiculous opinion of Rav Hai Gaon, which shows how backwards he was; and I'm not even being an apikores because Rambam agrees he is wrong."

#16 Ayeles Hashachar

Ayeles Hashachar

TA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

1. Usually my mesorah based on minhag.

2. It isn't so much the deciding the bothers me, as much as the attitude about it. The whole "hey look at this funny and ridiculous opinion of Rav Hai Gaon, which shows how backwards he was; and I'm not even being an apikores because Rambam agrees he is wrong."

1. Thank you.

2. I see. Thanks again.

#17 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

How do you decide then?

Well first you'd have to establish that "attributed to R. Hai Gaon" means "written by R. Hai Gaon"

Then you'd have to establish that R. Hai Gaon intended this to be efficacious for you and me, simpletons in 21st century Wherever as opposed to a super holy person with the proper kavanot in 11th century Fallujah.

Do YOU have the proper kavanot? Or is it magical, like a vending machine, regardless of our holiness and kavanot?

That said you'll notice the opening post, not knowing what to make of it. That's code for undecided.

#18 Sheretz b'yado

Sheretz b'yado

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Well first you'd have to establish that "attributed to R. Hai Gaon" means "written by R. Hai Gaon"

Then you'd have to establish that R. Hai Gaon intended this to be efficacious for you and me, simpletons in 21st century Wherever as opposed to a super holy person with the proper kavanot in 11th century Fallujah.

Do YOU have the proper kavanot? Or is it magical, like a vending machine, regardless of our holiness and kavanot?

That said you'll notice the opening post, not knowing what to make of it. That's code for undecided.

That is reasonable to me.

#19 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

an apotropos against atropos?

The Partial View: Segulah for Parnassah- purchase a new Knife on Erev Rosh Hashana

החותך חיים לכל חי

Though this is not a common custom, It is brought down in Seforim to sharpen the knives on erev Rosh Hashana and to buy a new knife as a segulah for Parnassah, There is a discussion among poskim if one may buy a sharp knife it as a gift.

One of the reasons given  is that hashem  in charge of everything, yet He does have a whole slew of ministering angels who carry out His orders."Chatach," (חתך), which means "cut," is the name of the angel in charge of livelihood. Consider that the final letters of the Hebrew words, פותח את ידך, "You open up Your hand"  spell "chatach." Additionally, the word that follows in the verse, "u'masbe'a" – "and satisfy [the desire of every living being]" has the numerical value of 428 – the same value as the word "chatach." For this reason, purchasing a new, sharp knife is a segulah (spiritually propitious), for livelihood, which we petition from G‑d for the upcoming year. May G‑d inscribe you and your family, and all the Jewish people, for a year abundant in livelihood—and everything good! "Chatach," (חתך), which means "cut," is the name of the angel in charge of livelihood.

For this reason, purchasing a new, sharp knife is a segulah (spiritually propitious), for livelihood, which we petition from G‑d for the upcoming year.

Nitei Gavriel 11:10

Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism.

Demand the impossible! everyone will be free

#20 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

Personally, I always sharpen some of my knives on erev Rosh Hashana. i find it to be an excellent segula for nicely slicing the meat and fish on yom tov.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users