#41 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 12:40 AM

Brian Blum at The Jerusalem Post on a session at Limmud JLM

Ah, how primitive our forefathers were! And how foolish they were to spend good money on such things. We, of course, know better these days.

That is, until Stamler got to Rebbetzin Aidel Miller, a master of the art of “lead pouring,” a relatively modern feat of Jewish magic that originated in the late 19th century and is also known by its original German name bleigiessen.

Miller is operating today, in 2015, not hundreds of years ago, charging a tidy sum ($101 per session – after the 101 shofar blasts some congregations blow on Rosh Hashana) for a procedure that involves heating lead until it melts, then pouring it into a bucket of cold water placed near the sufferer’s head, discerning the shapes of the bubbles and globules that result, and using her knowledge to subsequently remove ayin hara (the evil eye), bypass childbearing blocks, or improve success with shidduchim (finding a marriageable partner). Miller will come to your home or even do the procedure over the phone, apparently.

It wasn’t just the lead that was boiling now. I felt a burning sense of theological indignation.

Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism.

Demand the impossible! everyone will be free

#42 Master Zed

Master Zed

Who the @#$% is Zed?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:01 AM

Brian Blum at The Jerusalem Post on a session at Limmud JLM

Ah, how primitive our forefathers were! And how foolish they were to spend good money on such things. We, of course, know better these days.

That is, until Stamler got to Rebbetzin Aidel Miller, a master of the art of “lead pouring,” a relatively modern feat of Jewish magic that originated in the late 19th century and is also known by its original German name bleigiessen.

Miller is operating today, in 2015, not hundreds of years ago, charging a tidy sum ($101 per session – after the 101 shofar blasts some congregations blow on Rosh Hashana) for a procedure that involves heating lead until it melts, then pouring it into a bucket of cold water placed near the sufferer’s head, discerning the shapes of the bubbles and globules that result, and using her knowledge to subsequently remove ayin hara (the evil eye), bypass childbearing blocks, or improve success with shidduchim (finding a marriageable partner). Miller will come to your home or even do the procedure over the phone, apparently.

It wasn’t just the lead that was boiling now. I felt a burning sense of theological indignation.

I know people who swear by this woman... Then again they also forward chain emails and believe Bill Gates will give out money for every facebook share....

You're wrong Kyle, G-d is NOT a dick! -- Eric Cartman

#43 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:31 AM

The Ayin Hara Incident

“…my husband came home from the bris. And I knew something was wrong. I can tell these things. And something was definitely wrong. My husband had an ayin hara.”

I shifted around in my seat to hear better.

“He had an ayin hara, and it hadn’t been there when he left to shul! So I asked him, ‘Did anything happen this morning?'” She paused for dramatic effect.

We were all paying attention.

“He had to think about it for only a few seconds. Yes! There had been this man staring at him in shul. Just staring! For no reason at all. He was giving him an ayin hara!”

(If you don’t know, an ayin hara can come from showing off, getting a compliment or being looked at for too long.)

The teacher described how she dripped wax in a bowl and washed her husband with the water and then dropped the wax in again, and this time it sank to the bottom, showing that her husband was now clear of ayin hara.

Now I was hooked. Ayin haras are mysterious things. Someone who can see them is a handy person to have around. Someone who can pluck them off with a bowl full of wax is invaluable.

Ever-practical as I am, my hand immediately shot up.

“Yes?”

“Do I have any ayin haras?”

Well, if I didn’t have any ayin haras before, I sure did by the time she finished glaring at me.

“I don’t answer such personal questions in public,” she said icily.

She did not invite me to pursue the matter further after class.
Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism.

#44 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:37 AM

segulah for parking

jrpAy1e.jpg

• Dan is maskim

#45 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:50 PM

PJDZtvl.png

#46 Master Zed

Master Zed

Who the @#$% is Zed?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:57 PM

segulah for parking

jrpAy1e.jpg

Imma try this. What is the average time it takes this segulah to work???

You're wrong Kyle, G-d is NOT a dick! -- Eric Cartman

#47 David

David

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:31 AM

"bring you to the place that I have prepared"

That's not necessarily a parking space. Maybe Hashem wants you to sit in traffic for two hours to teach you patience. Or your car could be destroyed in an accident to punish you for focusing too much on your material possessions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users