100 replies to this topic

#41 Sheretz b'yado

Sheretz b'yado

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:11 AM

There are some people who think that the only halachically acceptable way to meet women is via a shadchan.

I'm not one of them.

I see nothing wrong with men and women socializing.

I'm not one of them either. That completely misses the point.

Because the point is that if you use shul to meet women, you should not act surprised that those who think there is a problem with men and women socializing are concerned about socializing in shul.

#42 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:20 AM

I'm not one of them either. That completely misses the point.

Because the point is that if you use shul to meet women, you should not act surprised that those who think there is a problem with men and women socializing are concerned about socializing in shul.

Of course--all those who think that it is assur to have mean and women socializing in any and every social situation, with the exception of the shiiduch framework.

Now I realize that chasidim (topic of OP) are likely to be included in this group. And I recognize their right to do what they want in their shuls. (Public domain is another matter.)  However, their solution is not to build something separate to enable women to participate in the mitzva, but rather to exclude them altogether. So nobody should be surprise if there are women who feel excluded from Jewish ritual.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#43 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

"Women who drive risk damaging their ovaries"

Oops--my mistake. this one is from the other guys.

http://www.ynetnews....4434301,00.html

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#44 brianna

brianna

the one and only

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

My favorite part of the article:

"A biography on his website does not list any background in medicine and he did not cite any studies to back up his claims."

What a bunch of stupidity.

#45 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

Well, we have certainly seen the {insert favorite hareidi pet peeve here} causes cancer, which is just as stupid, and with equal scientific/medical evidence.

I'm just happy that we don't have the exclusive on idiots.

#46 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:08 AM

An ad campaign used defacement of posters to make a point.  First they hung up an ad of the sort that gets defaced.  They later tore off part of their own ad to reveal a sign about the International Day to End Violence against Women

528267_10152415437347785_1717622838_n.jp

Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism.

Demand the impossible! everyone will be free

#47 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:55 PM

http://www.theonion....fault:1:Default
" All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind."

#48 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

From a bio of ROY, reportedly written by his son, the current Rishon Letzion.

כבד את אביך ואת אמך

551320_689197657787114_1213221303_n.jpg

davar acher:

61287_626215574113117_1628810898_n.jpg

Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism.

#49 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

Women spray-painted out of a Purim party ad.  Please open your gemaras and paste an article about the Bering Strait over where it used to say אף הן היו באותו הנס.

By the way, anyone know how to make a mask from a photo using a flat piece of paper?  I don't have time to make a 3D mask, what I want to do is take a photo of me, blur it using an image editor, and wear it as a mask.

1623770_10152220423511698_2053846524_n.j

#50 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

YWN Jerusalem Bus Ads to Include Women

#51 Master Zed

Master Zed

Who the @#$% is Zed?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

As an incentive for Canaan, the government has agreed to assist in covering the costs of buses that will be vandalized.

Good Deal!!! Because they WILL be vandalized...

You're wrong Kyle, G-d is NOT a dick! -- Eric Cartman

#52 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:36 AM

From "Talmud Yisraeli - the daf yomi for children", a man marrying no one.

2di1qg7.jpg

You can leave your hat (and suit) on

2nbxg5i.jpg

#53 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:42 PM

YWN: Photo Essay: Approximately 10,000 Women Attend Internet Asifa In Boro Park Wednesday Evening

not a woman in the photo essay.  Most of the photos are of the speakers (all men), but there are a few of the chairs before anyone sat in them.

IMG_7096.jpg

IMG_7084.jpg

#54 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:53 PM

YWN: Photo Essay: Approximately 10,000 Women Attend Internet Asifa In Boro Park Wednesday Evening

not a woman in the photo essay.  Most of the photos are of the speakers (all men), but there are a few of the chairs before anyone sat in them.

Pretty soon, they will censor pictures of the chairs. After all, the chairs will soon be covered by womens' tucheses, and we can't let our holy young men start thinking of that!

#55 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:27 AM

Extreme anti-Zionist group calls to cause 'insurmountable' damage to the State following deal with Egged to fight vandalism.

The article says it is based on reporting at Walla! but doesn't link to the article there.

#56 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:50 AM

wedding videos with two edits, one for men and one for women.

1908089_633284076787399_3635690391204411

#57 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:11 AM

http://www.ynetnews....4570316,00.html

According to Chairman of Shas's Jerusalem faction, Nati Lasri, "it's like putting up a poster supporting a Hamas charity at the Bakum (IDF’s main enlistment center)."

Before and After

Untitled-1.jpg

#58 politico

politico

Click-Vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:20 PM

From my social media feeds:

http://www.mediaite....ie-hebdo-march/

OTD ברוך שעשני

#59 Grand Central

Grand Central

Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:12 AM

slick!

(have they already forgotten the uproar after the "situation room" photo shop?)

#60 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:45 PM

From my social media feeds:

http://www.mediaite....ie-hebdo-march/

B7PummfCEAAN1j1.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users