#1 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

I found this delightful item at Life in Israel

What it says is that a haredi who joins the army or does national service is light-headed. But the Hebrew acronym (chardak) sounds like charak, which means insect (and in case you don't get that there's a knitted insect in the upper-left corner) and it also sounds like the Hebrew phrase for a very dangerous bacterium (the second word of the phrase doesn't stand out but it's right under the insect).

I first saw part of this one underneath one of the other posters calling for a riot on Tuesday at the Kotel.

537615_10151762925408496_1848081639_n.jp

Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism.

Demand the impossible! everyone will be free

#2 Master Zed

Master Zed

Who the @#$% is Zed?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

They have a whole series of these. I'll try to post later...
You're wrong Kyle, G-d is NOT a dick! -- Eric Cartman

#3 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

Army Radio (in Hebrew) reports on a new wave of "chardak" flyers distributed in Haredi areas that compares haredi soldiers who enlist to war casualties.

The photos there are small but here is a link to another site with larger images, containing text like "this area is free of chardakim (passage to chardakim in this area is forbidden)"

Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism.

#4 Dan

Dan

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:56 AM

I must say, the poster in the OP looks horrible. Bad job.. there are better ones out there..

i.e the video:

#5 Master Zed

Master Zed

Who the @#$% is Zed?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

Report from Meron.... Unfortunately, I did not see Warren there nor see any reports from him, so I guess I will have to pick up the slack...

The streets were littered with "Chardak" fliers, even some new ones which I did not bother to pick up off the ground and photograph. But this poster was prominently displayed in several places near the Tziun, as well as other tefilos handed out with instructions to have special kavonnah to void the gezira of the draft...

5yb7sz.jpg

But then I'm not sure what happened exactly, one of the musicians that was singing started calling the police "Nazis" (maybe they were doing their job controlling the crowd and in some way trying to reign in the anarchy) and other choice epithets in Yiddish about the tzioynim. Then broke into a rendition of "Hashem Hee Malkaynee". This happened several times and he was not shut up or removed from the stage... I was outside at the time so I couldn't get a video :(

#6 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

You should start a new thread about the meron experience this year. I heard it was quite a scene.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#7 Master Zed

Master Zed

Who the @#$% is Zed?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

I have to wait for my blood pressure to go down...

#8 Gabbe

Gabbe

Suggester of Most Things Awesome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

Screw your blood pressure, what happened?

#9 Sheretz b'yado

Sheretz b'yado

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

Then broke into a rendition of "Hashem Hee Malkaynee". This happened several times and he was not shut up or removed from the stage... I was outside at the time so I couldn't get a video :(

Yah, my fave song.

#10 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

You can find all sorts of wonderful videos on the net:

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#11 Dan

Dan

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

d7dxqrnw__w470h352q70.jpg

61qlcxpe__w470h352q70.jpg

Think there's enough jail-room for them?

#12 Master Zed

Master Zed

Who the @#$% is Zed?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

The news reported "several dozen" Haredim protested... :rolleyes:

• Dan is maskim

#13 Master Zed

Master Zed

Who the @#$% is Zed?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

Bowling for Horses...

#14 Elana

Elana

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

The news reported "several dozen" Haredim protested... :rolleyes:

it says thousands here
http://www.vosizneia...police-injured/

burning garbage cans the day after matan Torah. wonderful!

#15 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

Think there's enough jail-room for them?

Nope.

Think there's enough money for them?

Think there's enough money for their yeshivot?

I realize that they think that the current "gezeirot": are the worst thing since  the Tsar. but there are many more financial sanctions that can be leveled against these communities. Eventually, financial need will mold their behavior.

And the more these pictures are shown, the more popular such sanctions will become.

• Dan is maskim

#16 Sheretz b'yado

Sheretz b'yado

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

Well, right or wrong, we'll win. (insert your favorite quote here about all the peoples we've outlasted)

#17 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

Who is "we"?

#18 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

Haaretz  A day after violent protest, Haredi coverage ranges from delicate criticism to complete disregard (if the paywall blocks you, google the title and click on the link and you'll see the whole thing) reports on how Thursday's demonstration was covered in the Haredi press.

Yated did not mention the demonstration at all, it was not endorsed by R' Shteinman.  Hamodia and Hamevaser mentioned the violence,  while Hapeles claimed "Close monitoring by a team of stewards chosen by the organizers ensured the respectable nature of the mass demonstration," and, "the huge crowd of tens of thousands dispersed in an exemplary manner."

#19 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

I heard the hafganah wasn't exactly peaceful:

Ministers blast violence at ultra-Orthodox rally

http://www.timesofis...2b3a81-54479781

The charedim can't be silent for two minutes on yom hashoah or yom hazikaron because of bittul torah but seem to have all the time in the world for every riot under the sun.

#20 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

Expecting a peaceful protest organized by the eida hareidit is like expecting fast davening ln a Carlebach minyan.
  • Dan is maskim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users