Photo

3 days, 6 meals, how many guests? What's cookin'?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

Okay, so we have a 3 day yom tov - shabbat this year.
(Some of you have to put up with 3 of these.)
How are y'all handling the meals?

This year, so far we are only having guests for 2 of the 6 meals. Those will be meat. But we will probably stick one or 2 milk meals in there somewhere.

Anyone got it all together yet?

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#2 cynic

cynic

The Original

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

I don't even know where I'll be for RH. I think I should start figuring it out one of these days.

#3 utmj

utmj

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

round challah. thats all Ive planned so far :)

#4 Sheretz b'yado

Sheretz b'yado

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

Meat 18/18

Perhaps, perhaps, 2-3 chicken or turkey among those. 

#5 Gabbe

Gabbe

Suggester of Most Things Awesome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

Probably milchigs for lunches (except maybe Shabbos). Very light meals on Sukkos Phase II.

#6 Master Zed

Master Zed

Who the @#$% is Zed?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

I don't even know where I'll be for RH. I think I should start figuring it out one of these days.

This...

Though if I go to Uman, I guess it is all sorted out...

You're wrong Kyle, G-d is NOT a dick! -- Eric Cartman

#7 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:57 PM

Probably milchigs for lunches (except maybe Shabbos). Very light meals on Sukkos Phase II.

I don't even want to start thinking about sukkot.

This...

Though if I go to Uman, I guess it is all sorted out...

Why? don't you have to arrange for a place to stay etc?

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#8 Master Zed

Master Zed

Who the @#$% is Zed?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:05 AM

Why? don't you have to arrange for a place to stay etc?

That is easy. Getting there is the hard (or expensive) part...

You're wrong Kyle, G-d is NOT a dick! -- Eric Cartman

#9 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:48 AM

Don't they (whoever) charter a bunch of flights?
What's a ticket to Uman cost?
Where can you fly into?

#10 Gabbe

Gabbe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

I don't even want to start thinking about sukkot.

You have no right to complain. Us here are going to do it 3 times. At some point your mind just forgets what normality is and you're like "OK, this is life now. Eat, sleep, poop, shul." Afterwards you feel mildly unsettled because you're at work on a Friday instead of in shul surrounded by people who smell like hobos.

#11 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

Yeah, you are correct. Even when I moved to the US for a number of years, I always planned on coming back to Israel, and still travelled there a few times/year, so I still only kept one day of yom tov. When I got married, the wife adoped my customs, which drove her family nuts. (let me tell you, it wasn't difficult to convince her)

So you are correct. I have no reason to complain. But I do it anyway. I'm Jewish.

Eat, sleep, poop, shul."

It could be worse. A friend of mine, because of severe back pain, is taking oxycontin. Side effect: constipation.
He can't even poop. (I recommended an better drug as an alternative).

#12 Gabbe

Gabbe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

I'm a Lubavitcher in this one aspect. If I would be in Israel for YT (which has never happened) I would keep one day of YT regardless of where I live or any other of the shenanigans. Unfortunately, if I were to live in Israel I would still keep 2 days of YT in Ch"l.

#13 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

I think that's how most folks do it. At least most folks that I know. I just couldn't stand the idea of going back to 2 days after so many years of 1 day.....

#14 Gabbe

Gabbe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

Rabbi Soloveitchik apparently agreed that you do it based on where you're physically located. RHS seems to have created the day-and-a-half nonsense where you avoid d'oraysas on the 2d day in Israel. None of that for me.
I think most frummakes keep one or two days based on where they actually live (with all the games and loopholes) rather than where they physically are.

#15 Gabbe

Gabbe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

It could be worse. A friend of mine, because of severe back pain, is taking oxycontin. Side effect: constipation.
He can't even poop. (I recommended an better drug as an alternative).

Think of all the free time he has over YT -he has 25% fewer activities scheduled!

#16 Grand Central

Grand Central

Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

#17 Reverse Karma

Reverse Karma

Hi Mom !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

I like to keep all 18 meals in mind as I plan.  For example, if I make a large roast for Rosh hashana and serve it for 2 meals, I can freeze the rest in 2 containers; for the first and last days of Succos too.  I don't want to make everything for every meal for every yomtov.

"You people are freaks." Milton

"It should be assur to hold onto a pole on the subway, because it might lead to pole dancing." Warren

"Clearly one should wash and say hamotzi on bread before partaking of Peanut M&Ms." Bezalel

"Keep your friends close, your enemies closer, and your country's flag in your pants. Isnt' that how the saying goes?"
Mustache_Marvin

"I think frummies should videotape sex with their wives and send them to the rabbis for a ruling if they are doing anything inappropriate." Indigo

#18 utmj

utmj

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

Igot no issues with two day YT. I happen to like it. Its the three day variety thqt is hard to deal with. But o, even that has becomr tolerable with a shower i. :)

#19 Grand Central

Grand Central

Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

That's my problem right there. It's too much for my brain to contain all at once. Thank gd I have 10 years of yom tov menus stored on my pc.

#20 Mrs Calvin

Mrs Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:46 AM

I usually ended up going to my parents when sukkos ended up like it is this year because I was able to go for 2 weeks as opposed to if sukkos falls out in the middle of the week.  While I was there, I technically kept one day, but since you can't do anything, it wasn't really any different.  I just didn't have to hear kiddush before eating, but that's about it.  

This year, however, because ticket prices are insane, I'm staying here, so I get the break in the middle.  Lucky me :-)

The whole rosh hashana thing is so annoying when it falls out like this...it's literally half a week long and just feels like it's never going to end.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users