#1 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

0p3x.jpg
" All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind."

#2 Rainbow

Rainbow

TA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

What are these? The only one I recognize is the starfruit.

#3 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

Dragonfruit (white with black seeds), guava (light pink), sabra (deeper pink-red), passionfruit (dark purple peel with yellowish pulp inside), gooseberry (small orange ball), Asian pear.
" All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind."

#4 jewess

jewess

TA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

Like I said on rosh hashana, there is a reason these fruit are "new fruits" and not just regular fruits.

#5 Rainbow

Rainbow

TA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

Dragonfruit (white with black seeds), guava (light pink), sabra (deeper pink-red), passionfruit (dark purple peel with yellowish pulp inside), gooseberry (small orange ball), Asian pear.

Thanks. :)

#6 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

Like I said on rosh hashana, there is a reason these fruit are "new fruits" and not just regular fruits.

I agree on some of them, but I enjoy dragonsruit, starfruit, and passionfruit, and gooseberries are a nice counterpoint to ice cream or a sweet fruit compotes.

#7 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

Fruit is to ice cream as a bamah is to the beit hamikdash.

#8 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

No, as the Korban pesach is to the chagigah.

#9 Elana

Elana

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:52 PM

my daughter looooves starfruit! luckily for her, it's on sale now :)

my chinese supervisor was eating the dragon fruit the day for lunch and was very impressed with me knowing what it was.

and i loved gooseberries back in the old country.

#10 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:27 PM

I'm not a big fan of dragonfruit, and I managed to resist buying any this year.
One of my daughters and myself are big starfruit and passion fruit fans.

This year, for appetizer on the R"H evenimg meals, I served truffled sea bream with fruit garnishes ( star fruit,passion fruit, lime and on the second night, pomegranate) for an appetizer. On shabbat day, I hollowed out passion fruit, filled the shells with leftover sea bream, and covered it with the contents of the passion fruit.

A lot of these fruits go really well as garnishes for meat and fish, and in salads. Think of a greens sald with star fruit.

For dessert, we had the traditional fruit salad, along with decadent fresh marzipan, and date and fig concoctions that they sell in the shuk. They hurt my teeth for some reason, but what the hell.

By the way, one thing they sell here for RH is fresh dates. Serve them cold for kiddush, or as frozen datesickles.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users