39 replies to this topic

#1 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:21 AM

so I have a suggestion. single girls should select emails firstname.middlename@gmail.com

and not firstname.lastname@gmail.com

know why?

b/c when they get married they can change their birth certificates, their passports, everything... but they can never change their email without starting over! so girls end up keeping firstname.maidename@gmail.com even after they have changed their name to FirstName Husband'sSurname

he-chacham einayv be-rosho.

girls should plan for their future name change

#2 Rainbow

Rainbow

TA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

Oy.

But anyway, not every girl has a middle name.

#3 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

What kind of sexist are you, to assume that a wife must take her husband's surname? Feh on that.
" All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind."

#4 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

Something that I learned from the Imamother "baby names" forum (open to non-members) is that every child must have both a middle name and a nickname.

Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism.

Demand the impossible! everyone will be free

#5 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

A frummee Time Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:31 PM

They should also refrain from using AOL email 

'At the hearing, Judge Craig made no secret about how she viewed the lawsuit, at various points characterizing Geltzer’s positions as “ridiculous” and “absurd”.  Her opinion, while slightly more measured than her comments during oral argument, dismissed Geltzer’s claims as “based on a fundamentally flawed legal theory that is . . . at odds with common sense.” '

#6 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

Oy.

But anyway, not every girl has a middle name.

well she should.

What kind of sexist are you, to assume that a wife must take her husband's surname? Feh on that.

bc that's what normal people do

#7 Rainbow

Rainbow

TA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

well she should.

Not if the ancestor she was named after didn't have one.

What's the word for a parody so serious that it's indistinguishable from something somebody actually believes?

#8 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

Not if the ancestor she was named after didn't have one.

who names after one ancestor? besides converts.

#9 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

bc that's what normal people do

Double feh on normalcy. Know who's normal? Goyim! Know who tries to be normal? Moderneh! Yuch.
" All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind."

#10 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud Muffin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

who names after one ancestor? besides converts.

Well, some authorities say that a child should only be named after one person (to avoid confusion), and likewise that a boy should only be named after a man, and (not quite as importantly) a girl should only be named after a woman.

#11 Mrs Calvin

Mrs Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:13 AM

What if a girl doesn't like her middle name? My email address is my first name and my last initial. Should I not find someone with a last name that begins with the same letter, it's not as big a deal, you just have to change the display name.

#12 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:24 AM

Right calvin. That would be wise to not change your surname initial.

Alternatively girls could marry their cousin and not change their surname.

#13 Milton

Milton

Heisenberg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

Or their uncle!

#14 Mrs Calvin

Mrs Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

I'll put it on the resume: must have last name that starts with same letter as mine so as not to mess up my email address. See how well that goes over.

#15 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

good idea.

but really -- what's the alternative? what's your end game? would you change your email when you get married (in the right time in good health)?

#16 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

Double feh on normalcy. Know who's normal? Goyim! Know who tries to be normal? Moderneh! Yuch.

It seems to me that "is this normal?" is one of the most asked questions on frum sites.  My imamother correspondent found 23 pages of threads there, and I've seen countless (OK, I didn't count) talkbacks on the frum news ripoff sites or shidduch complaint blogs.  You can be normal and steal, but  you're certainly innocent of being a sex abuser.

Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism.

Demand the impossible! everyone will be free

#17 egomaniac

egomaniac

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

so I have a suggestion. single girls should select emails firstname.middlename@gmail.com
and not firstname.lastname@gmail.com

know why?

b/c when they get married they can change their birth certificates, their passports, everything... but they can never change their email without starting over! so girls end up keeping firstname.maidename@gmail.com even after they have changed their name to FirstName Husband'sSurname

he-chacham einayv be-rosho.

girls should plan for their future name change

Or, when you get married Be"H, you can forward your firstname.maidenname@gmail.com to Mrs.NewLastName@gmail.com and start giving out the new email, and anything sent to the old will show up in the new email
If the only way we can sell our children Torah is by forbidding everything else, then we are bankrupt. -R Shlomo Freifeld

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Before donning the vestments of zealotry one should ascertain the exact facts. - Indigo

Judaism...making me feel more like a supermodel every day... - aseeker

#18 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

It seems to me that "is this normal?" is one of the most asked questions on frum sites. My imamother correspondent found 23 pages of threads there, and I've seen countless (OK, I didn't count) talkbacks on the frum news ripoff sites or shidduch complaint blogs. You can be normal and steal, but you're certainly innocent of being a sex abuser.

"Normalcy will be restored as soon as we figure out what is normal."
-Trillian, First Mate on the Heart of Gold.

#19 Xi'le

Xi'le

-->

• Administrators
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

The most important thing is to give your kids unusual first names in order to ensure that first_name.last_name is not taken by the time they get married.

#20 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

Or, when you get married Be"H, you can forward your firstname.maidenname@gmail.com to Mrs.NewLastName@gmail.com and start giving out the new email, and anything sent to the old will show up in the new email

in theory, i suppose. but still, you are going to have to keep that maidenhead email in perpetuity. i still think better to be prescient and start off with an email you can keep regardless of marital status.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users