24 replies to this topic

#1 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

I was wrong. Women should NOT learn torah. This epiphany came to me today overhearing a woman who said ever since she learned that you shouldn't put honey in sacrifices, she stopped putting honey in her challah recipes.

#2 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:11 AM

I was wrong. Women should NOT learn torah. This epiphany came to me today overhearing a woman who said ever since she learned that you shouldn't put honey in sacrifices, she stopped putting honey in her challah recipes.

So she's going to make matzot all year long?

Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism.

Demand the impossible! everyone will be free

#3 Chiloni

Chiloni

TA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

Apparently R. Moshe Feinstein agreed.

I dread to think what happens when she comes to shul (רחמנא ליבא בעי).

#4 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

Is bee honey even included in the restriction? It's targeted at fruit, but maybe anything sweet is also included?
" All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind."

#5 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

on imamother:

icon_minipost_new.gif Posted: Today at 4:57 am       Post subject: re: New Chumros - Says Rabbi Imamother

(lifted from another site) Just like it is forbidden to put honey on the mizbeiach, honey may not be added to challah.

#6 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

I'm really bot getting this - are their challos also unleavened?
" All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind."

#7 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:20 PM

I'm really bot getting this - are their challos also unleavened?

well maybe they are making a hekesh to kiddush, and are just passuling for challah what we passul for kidush

but really, there is no understanding. this is vibershe toyreh

#8 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

Now you're passeling sweet wine for kiddush? When will you learn that Machmir is Not Always Better!

#9 cynic

cynic

The Original

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

Wouldn't that also mean that they can't eat challah since they are making it holy, similar to not pointing to the shankbone?

#10 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

Wouldn't that also mean that they can't eat challah since they are making it holy, similar to not pointing to the shankbone?

Can't eat anything at all from the table, it's an altar.

Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism.

#11 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

Can't eat anything at all from the table, it's an altar.

אין המזבח מקדש אלא את הראוי לו

#12 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

אין המזבח מקדש אלא את הראוי לו

Now you're trying to teach Torah shebaal peh to women?

#13 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

Now you're trying to teach Torah shebaal peh to women?

As long as they don't wear tefillin, it's all fair game.

#14 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

Al tikrei tiflut ela tefillin

#15 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:26 AM

Now you're passeling sweet wine for kiddush? When will you learn that Machmir is Not Always Better!

Nevertheless, I have it on good authority that HKB"H appreciates kiddush on a fine Cabernet much more  than the kosher equivalent of Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#16 Rainbow

Rainbow

TA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:13 AM

Men shouldn't either, using the same logic, except that I don't have a cute story to back it up. Only horrible stories like how rabbis pasken not to turn in child molesters and whatnot.

But frankly, keeping people from learning doesn't keep them from making up their own minhagei shtuss.

#17 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:59 AM

Nevertheless, I have it on good authority that HKB"H appreciates kiddush on a fine Cabernet much more than the kosher equivalent of Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill.

When He starts drinking the kiddush wine, I'll let Him choose the type...

#18 Chiloni

Chiloni

TA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

There is actually some precedent (see footnote 29) for not putting honey in challah on the first night of sukkos, but for a different reason.

#19 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

Sorry, posted in wrong thread.

#20 warren

warren

click vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:00 AM

When He starts drinking the kiddush wine, I'll let Him choose the type...

If we're going to make challah like menachot, we should make kiddush over whatever they used for nesachim. Sun-sweetened grapes are kosher only b'diavad, naturally sweet grapes are pasul.

משנה מנחות ח ו

mevushal is out too, but there are already people who at least prefer not mevushal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users