Photo

Where to Buy Tapered Oil Cups for Menorah?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud Muffin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:06 PM

We were gifted a beautiful Chanukiah for our wedding, and it has tapered cups. Last year, we bought a set of the medium plastic cups (Ohr Jelled E-Z Light, stock number 0613211450) that were filled with oil mixed with a bit of parafin so that it was solid. The set had cups that were tapered and fit beautifully into the Chanukiah. After we used them, we discarded them.

This year, we bought a similar set, but the plastic cups are straight-sided, so that they only fit into the tapered cups of the Chanukia at one point, and thus tend to tilt whenever the slightest vibration hits.

I can't even find a source for glass oil cups that are tapered instead of being straight-sided. Does anyone have any ideas for finding such cups, or for finding inserts that will fit into tapered cups?

#2 David

David

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:20 AM

What about filling the empty space in the Chanukia cups with water, sand, salt or something more decorative? That should solve the stability issue.

#3 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud Muffin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:22 PM

I sent a query via webmail to Ner Mitzvah, which makes the Ohr products, asking if they would again make the Ohr product from the year before that fit our Chanukiah, or if any of their other products (such as the glass oil cups) had tapered walls.

Unfortunately, they have not answered me. Now we're upset that we bought this Chanukiah, since it appears we can only obtain straight-sided cups.

#4 egomaniac

egomaniac

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:00 PM

Are the little rubber thingies that go on the bottom of the glass cups worth anything for your situation?
If the only way we can sell our children Torah is by forbidding everything else, then we are bankrupt. -R Shlomo Freifeld

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Before donning the vestments of zealotry one should ascertain the exact facts. - Indigo

Judaism...making me feel more like a supermodel every day... - aseeker

#5 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud Muffin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:42 AM

Post-Chanukah, we found a set prefilled with oil that has a slight taper and that fits better. It's not perfect and wobbles a bit, but not at as great an angle as this year's straight-walled gel cups did. So we're at least set for next year.

I am not familiar with the rubber thingies so I'm not sure if those would help.

#6 egomaniac

egomaniac

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:12 AM

http://www.nermitzva...rubber-set.html
25091_3.jpg

If the only way we can sell our children Torah is by forbidding everything else, then we are bankrupt. -R Shlomo Freifeld

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Before donning the vestments of zealotry one should ascertain the exact facts. - Indigo

Judaism...making me feel more like a supermodel every day... - aseeker

#7 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud Muffin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:00 PM

I note that Ner Mitzvah never answered my query sent via webform.

How does one use these condoms for oil lamps? Isn't it hard to install the condoms? Are they reusable, and if so, it's probably a pain to have to remove them. It would be much easier if they would have continued to make the product that they made last year. But as I wrote, we found a different product that -- while not perfect -- does not wobble too much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users