#2 Arizona

Arizona

Checking IDs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:53 PM

Not bad.

Hopefully it'll hold up on days that aren't legal holidays.
"And as usual, Arizona is correct." - Xi'le

"As usual, Arizona is correct." - Snag

#3 Rachel

Rachel

TA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

Happy Birthday!

#4 razie

razie

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

Yay!
I have to say A+++ for the first day. I totally feel comfortable and at-home here. Very different than bots. I totally feel like this is a solid replacement site where I'm happy to stay.

#5 pumpkin spice

pumpkin spice

High on Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

The forum is 1 week old!

In 7 days we have:

Total Topics: 258
Total Posts: 3,604
Total Members: 45

#6 Xi'le

Xi'le

-->

• Administrators
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:23 PM

Whoa. How did I miss this thread?

#7 Rachel

Rachel

TA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:23 PM

Happy Birthday ZINH!!!

#8 Psychodad

Psychodad

TA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:43 AM

Yay!
I have to say A+++ for the first day. I totally feel comfortable and at-home here. Very different than bots. I totally feel like this is a solid replacement site where I'm happy to stay.

Did anyone at bots make you feel unwelcome? If so I can see why you would take a passive agressive swipe. Otherise, that comment was just bitchy.

#9 Snuffy

Snuffy

Brought to you by the letter X and by the the letter i

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:34 AM

Yay!

Did anyone at bots make you feel unwelcome? If so I can see why you would take a passive agressive swipe. Otherise, that comment was just bitchy.

It's her birthday and she'll cry if she wants too...

#10 pumpkin spice

pumpkin spice

High on Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

mazal tov on the first 10,000

Posted Image

#11 Elana

Elana

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

wow.

#12 Arizona

Arizona

Checking IDs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

And to think I was here when it happened. . .
"And as usual, Arizona is correct." - Xi'le

"As usual, Arizona is correct." - Snag

#13 razie

razie

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:06 PM

Huh? there was nothing passive aggressive about that, nor was it bitchy. Bots was touted as a replacement for H.
I didn't feel it was because I had no context on who everyone was, and that made me feel like a stranger.

I am comparing the previously touted "H replacement" to the new one. And this feels like a replacement whereas the other did not. Plenty of forums would not feel like an H replacement to me, and there are other forums I think are great and useful.

If you weren't trying to be an H replacement and recruit H people to come and use it as a replacement, you shouldn't have any issue with someone saying "Yeah, that didn't feel like an H replacement"

How is saying that either passive aggressive OR bitchy?

#14 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

mazal tov on the first 10,000

Posted Image

Chasdei Hashem.
Ten thousand posts in three weeks is astounding, Well done Xi. And well done membership.

Theis site really hit the ground running. That challenge is now to sustain the passion.

By comparison, imamother for the past 3+ years has been running at well over 30k a months. But it took them five years to get there. In imamother first year, they had something like 31k posts the entire year.

To contrast with another jewish discussion board that is mixed gender, the past twelve months they have been averaging 6k posts a month. And that's after 8 years of existence. Sites reap what they sow.

Now it's not a competition. Some site owners see their sites as a business, and they want growth (while dismissing the notion that members contribute anything to the site, ironically enough) for Google rankings and whatnot. I think this site is just here for whatever members what to make of it. For some it's a supplement for other online activity. For some it might be their primary online activity. And this might just be early enthusiasm which will die down, while other sites grow. Who knows. It doesn't matter. What does matter as that this site continue to exist to meet the needs of those who seem to really have taken to it.

Anyway, shkoyach Xi. Well done. Chazal ve'ematz.

#15 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

Chazal ve'ematz.

You mean chizki v'imtzi
" All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind."

#16 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

You mean chizki v'imtzi

:)

#17 Elana

Elana

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

now, we gotta be truthful - we can't compare this site to imamother or h.com, in terms of # of posts. those 2 started from scratch, in terms of membership. not so with shtetl.

#18 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:37 PM

That's what I mean that this site hit the ground running. And the challenge is to sustain the passion.
That said, at least one of those sites actually did start with a critical mass of ATIME people and with a previous incarnation of that site. That's why if you look at their list of members sorted by join date, there are limited degrees of separation. It did not happen that one site owner put up a site, and magically members appeared without a previous connection. It started with a critical mass, and it grew by word of mouth or searches or whatever. It grew, peaked, and collapsed. It may yet rise again, time will tell.

And perhaps this site, because of the chat siphoning content, has a unique challenge.

#19 Indigo

Indigo

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

And fine. Don't compare year 1. Compare year 8 of that site. The first 3 weeks on this site still blows the monthly average of that site after 8 years out of the water.

Will we sustain it here? Maybe not. Will that site recover to its heyday of over 300k posts a year in 2006? Could be. But realistically, that site had 70k posts in the past 12 months. That's 6k a month. And it's hemorrhaging membership. Has been for 3 years. The odds of it recovering any time soon are slim. Although it's doable.

That said, I hope all these sites continue to meet the needs of their memberships, a lot of which overlaps (i.e. the memberships overlap. and the needs overlap). Chizku v'imtzu to all these sites. And it's NOT a competition. Mostly b/c this site doesn't see growth as raison d'etre while other sites that are run as businesses do.

#20 Reverse Karma

Reverse Karma

Hi Mom !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

it's still very exciting !!!!
"You people are freaks." Milton

"It should be assur to hold onto a pole on the subway, because it might lead to pole dancing." Warren

"Clearly one should wash and say hamotzi on bread before partaking of Peanut M&Ms." Bezalel

"Keep your friends close, your enemies closer, and your country's flag in your pants. Isnt' that how the saying goes?"
Mustache_Marvin

"I think frummies should videotape sex with their wives and send them to the rabbis for a ruling if they are doing anything inappropriate." Indigo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users