31 replies to this topic

#21 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

I take it often. But then again, I drink it at home as well. I love tomato juice. Especially with black pepper and lemon/lime.

is it permitted to take lemon/lime slices on a plane, form a kshrus perspective?
" All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind."

#22 razie

razie

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

I take it often. But then again, I drink it at home as well. I love tomato juice. Especially with black pepper and lemon/lime.

try a splash of tabasco.

You're a shot away from a bloody mary.

#23 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

chasidisteh of iSh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

is it permitted to take lemon/lime slices on a plane, form a kshrus perspective?

Hm. didn't think of that.

try a splash of tabasco.

You're a shot away from a bloody mary.

Will do.
Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#24 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

Hm. didn't think of that.

I say yes, btw. I'll post why tomorrow, iyH.
" All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind."

#25 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:04 AM

It's the altitude. And tomato juice is not the only thing that's better up there.

Tha's a myth. The lack of space and need for some discretion makes things worse, not better.

Of course, you could be referring to the pretzels.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#26 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

chasidisteh of iSh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

I say yes, btw. I'll post why tomorrow, iyH.

Thought about this over the weekend. IIRC, I once asked and was told it's ok. But it's a very vague memory.
Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#27 egomaniac

egomaniac

Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

Why not?
Can't we assume that the knife used to cut it was cleaned with soap, and even so that even if its ben yomo it's nosein taam l'fgam?
If the only way we can sell our children Torah is by forbidding everything else, then we are bankrupt. -R Shlomo Freifeld

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Before donning the vestments of zealotry one should ascertain the exact facts. - Indigo

Judaism...making me feel more like a supermodel every day... - aseeker

#28 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:54 AM

Why not?
Can't we assume that the knife used to cut it was cleaned with soap, and even so that even if its ben yomo it's nosein taam l'fgam?

Why should we be able to assume that? And certainly not that it was cleaned with soap and hot water, which would cause the soap to make even the b'li'os lifgam. And Ben yomo wouldn't even help with a lemon because it's likely a davar charif.

The reason I think it's okay to squeeze that lemon into your juice (but possibly not to put it in your mouth directly, although I have to think about that, too) is because it's almost certainly batel b'shishim (ein mevatlin issue lechatchila to e discussed at a later date). Wait, you ask! The lemon is a milsa d'avida l'taama, so how can it be batel? The answer is that only something which is inherently assur is not batel when it is intended to change the taste; something which is muttar on its own, but has absorbed some issur, does not have this restriction.

#29 pumpkin spice

pumpkin spice

High on Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

i get ginger ale.

also, lemon slices usually have fecal matter on them http://today.msnbc.m...n/#.Tze7kuQmSuI

A total of 25 different types of germs were found on 53 out of the 76 lemons that were sampled. Some were fecal in origin (either from dirty fingertips of the restaurant employees, or from meat-contaminated cutting boards and knives)

#30 brianna

brianna

the one and only

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

What else do they offer that you can mix your vodka with?

Cranberry juice. :)

#31 politico

politico

Click-Vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

Cranberry juice. :)

and/or ginger ale.
OTD ברוך שעשני

#32 dqowitz