starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

Will there be scotch?

In all probability.
There are very few days during a given year that a number of good single malt whiskies are not available in the starwolf household, all of them governed by various Jewish customs. Assuming that your visit does not coincide with one of them, then the answer would be yes.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#22 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

In all probability.
There are very few days during a given year that a number of good single malt whiskies are not available in the starwolf household, all of them governed by various Jewish customs. Assuming that your visit does not coincide with one of them, then the answer would be yes.

IOW, don't show up on Shushan Purim and expect some alcohol to have survived.
" All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind."

#23 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

IOW, don't show up on Shushan Purim and expect some alcohol to have survived.

Nah. This stuff ain't for guzzling. We have other things for that.

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#24 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

Nah. This stuff ain't for guzzling. We have other things for that.

All white man's firewater is bad. Only difference is price.
" All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind."

#25 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

Will there be scotch?

Let me answer a differnt way:
For you, malt that was distilled before you were born.

#26 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

All white man's firewater is bad. Only difference is price.

That's because, being a hareidi from the Great American Shtetl, you never tasted anything good. You never learned to discriminate, and if it did, it wouldn 't do you any good, because your taste buds have been ruined by too much herring and too many Tam-Tams.

But you just come on over. I'll show you whiskies that are so smooth that they could have a glatt hechsher, and others that are so rough that it's like drinking sandpaper.

#27 usuario

usuario

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

IIRC you are not allowed to be enrolled in Jewish studies or attend a religious seminary, or have gone on a previous group trip to Israel. Their reasons is that they want to target Jews who don't already have a strong connection to Judaism.

#28 Ayeles Hashachar

Ayeles Hashachar

TA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

IIRC you are not allowed to be enrolled in Jewish studies or attend a religious seminary, or have gone on a previous group trip to Israel. Their reasons is that they want to target Jews who don't already have a strong connection to Judaism.

Right, but the reason is also to give people who wouldn't otherwise go the opportunity.

a ship without a port is always in a storm

#29 Master Zed

Master Zed

Who the @#$% is Zed?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

Come visit us!!!

I was never invited... :angry:
You're wrong Kyle, G-d is NOT a dick! -- Eric Cartman

#30 Snag

Snag

מי זה מחשיך עצה

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

That's because, being a hareidi from the Great American Shtetl, you never tasted anything good. You never learned to discriminate, and if it did, it wouldn 't do you any good, because your taste buds have been ruined by too much herring and too many Tam-Tams.

But you just come on over. I'll show you whiskies that are so smooth that they could have a glatt hechsher, and others that are so rough that it's like drinking sandpaper.

I hope to take you up on that some day....

(There may be hope for me, yet: when I was younger, I used to enjoy the taste of Laphroaig.)

#31 starwolf

starwolf

curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

I was never invited... :angry:

<sigh> Certain people need gilt-edged invitations.

Actually,  I would be glad to have you come by for a glass or 2.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: travel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users